[News] The Importance of OpenDocument -- Freedom versus Selfish Tricks

What's Wrong With Choice?

,----[ Quote ]
| Brian Jones of Microsoft ... if you really care about choice,
| implement ODF as a fully-native peer to OOXML and automatically
| download it in the next batch of updates, rather than using a
| partially-functional plug-in that has to be searched out and
| then downloaded. Or is it really Microsoft that is afraid?
| Let's be honest here. According to your latest Form 10-Q,
| Office is 90% of the revenue of Microsoft Business Division,
| which is in turn one of the three profitable segments in the
| company. ... If there was a fully-level playing field-a
| standardized file format for the industry that almost anyone
| could implement-that would directly threaten Office.
`----

http://lnxwalt.wordpress.com/2007/01/20/whats-wrong-with-choice/

Related (yesterday):

An interesting offer: get paid to contribute to Wikipedia

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2007/01/an_interesting_offer.html