Re: Sony losing Billions on PS3 disaster

  • Subject: Re: Sony losing Billions on PS3 disaster
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:52:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ John Bailo ] on Monday 22 January 2007 19:28 \__

> Larry Qualig wrote:
>
>> A very recent example (one week old) was the thread here with the Sony
>> press release claiming that Sony reached their target goal of shipping
>> 1-million PS3's to the US. Sure... they met their goal after they
>> revised their goal from 2-million PS3's to only half that.
>
> MS had originally stated year end 10 Million Xbox360 sales, then
> retracted to 9 Million.

"10 milllion by Christmas", it originally stated. Then it was changed to "end
of year". But that's not the funny part of the story. What's worrying is
that their projections found their way into an article (not a press
release).

Microsoft's Xbox 360 US sales-NPD story withdrawn
                              ^^^

,----[ Quote ]
| The Los Angeles story headlined "Microsoft's Xbox 360 US sales
| top first Xbox--NPD" is withdrawn because the data supporting the
|                 ^^^
| story may be inaccurate. Reuters is waiting for an update from the
| company. A new story may be issued.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20061208:MTFH45656_2006-12-08_01-12-52_N07221320&type=comktNews&rpc=44

Microsoft is buying (emphasis on _buying_) a lot of studies from NPD. They
also have connections in the press, if not ownerships. See:

Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers - $350 million to MediaNews

,----[ Quote ]
| Gates involvement has been very behind the scenes. In fact many of
| those involved in the deal didn'teven know he was one of the investors.
| It was carried out through the Gates Foundation, the world's largest
| philanthropy outfit.

In a sense, Microsoft is like a government. I sometimes think it's more
powerful than the White House. It can spread just about the same levels of
FUD, as well.

5 Ways in which Bush is like Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://findsecrets.blogspot.com/2006/11/5-ways-in-which-bush-is-like-ballmer.html

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | How I learned to stop worrying and love GNU/Linux
         run-level 5  Oct 18 14:45                   last=S