Re: 7 Reasons to Move from Windows to Linux

Immure Obfuscation wrote:

> I agree. When will Linux goobs learn that Linux is just not ready for the
> mass desktop market?
>
> Mass market refers to the crowd that wants to
> "buy-it---plug-it-in---it-had-better-work----with-no-gurus-or-admins-or-tweaks".

You know, when I installed Windows, the following procedure occured.
Install Windows, reboot. Wow that was as easy as installing Linux. Wait
my graphics card didn't work.
Install graphics card, reboot. Wait my graphics card didn't work yet.
Half an hour on google. The graphics card had to be activated.
Activate graphics card, reboot. It turned out that my sound card didn't
work either.
Installing sound card, reboot. The sound card didn't work, Rendez vous
I thought. Unfortunately it wasn't the same procedure to activate the
sound card.
Half an hour on google. Activate the sound card, reboot.
Then I wen't on to install the software. After every beeping
application had been installed, reboot.

It appears that windows isn't ready for the desktop market. To be fair,
I was using Windows 2003 server.
The procedure for installing Simply Mepis was as follows. Boot the DVD.
A working operating system from the live dvd. Double click on the Icon.
Clicking a few options. Minimising the install window and surf the net
while installing.
Seems like Linux is ready for the desktop market to me.

> You know, like a TV. Plug in the power, plug in the cable, push the button.

That is just how my Linux computer works.

> Linux won't be mass market until vendors sell it preinstalled on new PCs,
> ready-to-go. There are not many of those yet.

On that point you are totally correct. However that is the vendors
fault, not Linux.

Your friendly neighbourhood Ewok