Re: [News] Microsoft Tried to Maintain Windows Media Player Monopoly Through Apple Deal

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Monday 22 January 2007 16:23 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Same reason they have a deal with Novell and Corel. They put a pawn to
>> defend the cash cows. Corel and Novell are also the only sockpuppets that
>> showed support for that proprietary monopoly enabler -- Open XML.
>
> Guess that's why they are in business.

I'm just hoping that you see how absurd it is. It's a recurring pattern,
which absolutely must stop. Here's another one I've just spotted.

Ruckus Offers Students Free Music

,----[ Quote ]
| The encrypted tracks, which are encoded in Microsoft's Windows Media Audio
| format, can't be burned to a CD and won't play on an iPod.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/21/free-music-downloads-tech-media-cx_lh_0121ruckus.html?partner=yahootix

A few minutes later I also see a Microsoft PR item which boasts collaboration
and interoperability... more like intraopertability, for Microsoft
products... Sharepoint, Exchange and junk like that, which leads one person
to depend on a colleague whose technology in use forces the other (or all
other) to embrace the "Microsoft religion".

Okay, now the point to make (retruning to what I started off with) is that
Microsoft wants WMP to be the one and only program to use. Kind of like IE.
They can then force users to stay with Windows, or else their personal data
becomes inaccessible.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 131 total,   1 running, 128 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie