Re: [News] Ten Problems with Windows Vista

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:18:48 +0000
<2514165.ySyUv3orrQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> 10 reasons not to get Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | 1. You don't actually need it

Define "need".  Were Microsoft to have its way (AFAICT)
everyone would need Microsoft Windows Vista, as songs,
videos, and even news content (e.g., from MSNBC) wouldn't
be displayable from anything else.  Were Richard Stallman
et al (again, AFAICT) to have their way, everything from
cellphones to kiosks would have access to any content
(if one knew where to look).

I'll admit I'd prefer the latter, but do wonder.

> | 2. Cost

It'll be interesting to see how Dell and HP roll
the licensing costs for Vista into their lower-end
consumer-oriented computer units.

> | 3. On that note, it's outrageously overpriced

See #2.

> | 4. Upgrading hardware

Or buying brand new computer systems.

> | 5. Driver support

See #4.

> | 6. Applications that don't work

Or buying brand new applications.  (When they come out.)

> | 7. It's a big fat target

It would have helped had Microsoft not decided to litter
the target area with detrius such as WinFS, WinFX, etc.
:-)

> | 8. UAC

Ooooooh...very very unfortunate acronym.  Anyone who
plays "DOOM" (especially the DOOM III variant, though
there's boxes labeled "UAC" all over the DOOMiverse)
will almost immediately know this one as "Union Aerospace
Corporation".  Doom III claims UAC has "unlimited spending"
and no morals or ethics (I forget the precise wording).

Of course Microsoft would far prefer we know it as "User
Account Control".

And yes, there's a DOOMWiki, complete with one-eyed red
hissy floating thing (I would forget its name):

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/UAC

Oh yeah, http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Cacodemon .
(And then there's its brother,
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Pain_Elemental,
who's even worse.  But he's brown.)

Nice going, Microsoft.  Next time try aiming the gun
forward, rather than downward -- especially when it's
set for "repeating rocket fire".  How many feet does
Microsoft have??

> | 9. DRM

Ah, can't be too careful nowadays.

> | 10. The draconian license

Regrettably, the article doesn't go into too much detail here.
However, a quick Google coughed up

http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/193300234

which mentions that one is allowed to transfer the OS
from one computer to another only once.  Presumably,
this includes transfer to a virtual computer, such as one
hosted by VmWare.  Also, a non-Genuine installation will
only allow operation of the default browser -- presumably
IE7 -- for an hour, and no other browsers need apply.

Athens would have been proud, though I'm not sure I'd
characterize this as "fair".

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=draconian

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
GNU and improved.