Re: My production Linux server

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 22 January 2007 13:05 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 22 January 2007 11:40 \__

>>> I keep looking at the apple servers but I've never actually known anyone
>>> who used them. I'd be interested in your experiences with it, what comes
>>> onboard and how well it works with the likes of MySQL installs etc.
>>
>> Why not just BSD? They are stable and efficient. All that chocolate
>> coating is pointless on the server side.
>>
>> L@@K. Shiny. Web server with graphical windows. And traslucent windows.
>> And Doom 3.
>>

> I have Linux servers and am very happy with them, all except two are
> SLES10, the others being HPUX.

What's wrong with SLES? The 'Microsoft tax' that's only covered for 5 years?

> But each time I come to deciding the next generation of servers I have had
> a look at the Apple Xserve. On paper they are good systems, basically a
> UNIX so should be fine with all of the usual software I would add to a
> server. It is only the price along with not knowing anyone with experience
> of Xserve that stops the boy in me from giving it a go, it's only works
> money afterall.

Just remember that Apple are good at marketing. You say that they are "good
systems on paper". Facts, on the other hand, are rarely advertised. People
who Got the Facts^TM have been disappointed. Higher cost, worse performance.
Adverts elevate price but guarantee no performance. In fact, the need to
advertise is often driven by the need to eliminate and beat word of mouth.
Red Hat servers needn't be advertised. People just recommend them to one
another. Red Hat doesn't sell; it takes orders.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Data lacking semantics is currency in an island
Tasks: 130 total,   1 running, 128 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie