Re: My production Linux server

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 22 January 2007 11:40 \__

> Sandman wrote:
>
>> I am in the process of replacing my Linux server with a Apple Xserve
>> solution (actually, three of them). I just wanted to advocate this
>> Linux server some. It's a Debian system running on a dual3.6Ghz Xeon
>> hardware with 4GB of RAM.
>>
>> It's serving up approx. 40 million web pages per month through my own
>> content management system. And this is the current uptime:
>>
>> ~> uptime
>>  12:09:35 up 199 days,  1:23,  1 user,  load average: 2.40, 3.00, 3.35
>>
>> Now, the load average is pretty low this morning, it is usually around
>> 4-5 and peaks at 20 sometimes (after which the web system closes all
>> connections and waits for load to go down, happens a couple of times
>> each month), which is why I am replacing it. I just think this is
>> pretty good Linux advocacy, with 199 days of uptime in a system so
>> extensively used.
>>
>> Go Linux! I just hope my Apple systems can deliver the same amount of
>> uptime.
>>

> I keep looking at the apple servers but I've never actually known anyone
> who used them. I'd be interested in your experiences with it, what comes
> onboard and how well it works with the likes of MySQL installs etc.

Why not just BSD? They are stable and efficient. All that chocolate coating
is pointless on the server side.

L@@K. Shiny. Web server with graphical windows. And traslucent windows. And
Doom 3.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
roy      pts/4                         Mon Jan 22 07:29 - 07:34  (00:04)