Re: My production Linux server

  • Subject: Re: My production Linux server
  • From: Sandman <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:20:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In article <1356029.UkQTJbiAO4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

> Why not just BSD? They are stable and efficient. All that chocolate coating
> is pointless on the server side.
>
> L@@K. Shiny. Web server with graphical windows. And traslucent windows. And
> Doom 3.

That was uncalled for. I didn't pick the Xserves because of the GUI,
obviously, having used Linux for years upon years. I picked it for
performance per dollar. Full hardware redundancy and easy to use admin
tools. Plus, I get a solid QT streaming server, 3 years full warranty
and support plus 24/7 phone support and Lights out management.

Is a BSD/Linux server in a homebuilt case cheaper? Yeah, you bet!
About *ten times* as cheap.

199 days ago, the PSU in the Linux box died though, and I had 48h
downtime, which is when I decided to go to a more professional
hardware vendor.

I'm not switching due to Linux. It's the hardware and support that
warrants the switch. And I am an Apple guy, so it's no surprise I
would go to a Mac solution rather than a Windows solution.

--
Sandman[.net]