Re: [News] Adobe Accuses Microsoft of Shoving Platform Lockins into Web

__/ [ Linonut ] on Monday 22 January 2007 12:44 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> | "I will be talking about Microsoft more and more in the following
>> | year. They really haven't changed a bit and are up to the same old
>> | platform lock-in tricks with their new technologies," wrote Adobe's
>> | Ted Patrick on his company blog last week.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2mvm3w
>>
>> Windows Vista Product Guide: Free to Download, $149 to Read
>>
>> | 'Windows Vista Product Guide' was released in two formats:
>> |
>> | Microsoft Office Word 2007
>> |     The standard .doc format isn't good enough, you need to be able to
>> |     read a .docx file, so all those users of Office XP are just plain
>> |     out of luck on this one.
>> |
>> | XPS
>> |     What the heck is XPS? I hadn't heard of it before now, (a quick
>> |     Google tells me XPS is Microsoft's proprietary rival to PDF)
>> |     but apparently you need a special reader for it (which is
>> |     kindly enough built into Vista, but nothing else).
>
> Sigh.  They'll never quit this shit, will they?

To quote Larry Ellison in a recent meeting, "I'm competing, it's capitalism".

Never mind if capitalism is becoming so predatory* that it remebles totality
(destruction and elimination of rivalry).

* E.g. Red Hat ripoff and buyout of Open Source companies that MySQL AB
depends on. Microsoft too has a history of buying companies to destroy
competition and openness, e.g. Corel (Linux support), Novell (think Hula),
Sysinternals (gone closed-source).

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: just set it and forget about it
  1:05pm  up 95 days 23:19,  7 users,  load average: 0.41, 0.73, 0.74