Re: [News] Ten Reasons Windows Isn't Missed

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> 10 Reasons Why I Don't Miss Windows
>
> | 4. Start Menu

We can't really grumble about that one, the Linux menu's have been growing
to daft levels for quite some time too. The alternate systems are much
better such as on SLES/D or Enlightenment.

> | 6. Windows Movie Maker - This program should never have been made,
> | because it won't work long enough for you to be productive on it...

That one is true. I'm a firm believer in keeping my pictures and video's at
full quallity on my local PC/DVDs, only reducing them for emails or web
sites.

You get so used to working in full quallity mode on Linux that when I tried
an edit on an XP at a relative's house it was just painfull to watch,
finding it grinding to a snails pace with just a handfull of pictures
loaded, any sort of rendering from then on and it looked like the thing had
crashed. Even a quick colour balancing that I tend to not think of as a
rendering operation on the Linux because it is instant, took an age on this
XP machine.

> | 7. Windows Search (this refers to Windows XP) - Has anyone
> | EVER found anything while using this? It takes minutes to
> | complete a search...

When I tried this I didn't find that it was particularly slow at all. Ok, so
it doesn't come up with many results, but it very quickly didn't come up
with many results I thought.

> | 8. Control Panel - Both Windows XP's and Windows Vista's confusing
> | control panels could have been laid out better -- especially Windows
> | XP's.

I have to disagree with this one. When XP turned up I thought the control
panel was the best part, putting the things that admin will want nice and
handy. Previous MS Wins had control panel too of cause, but I thought it
was nicely polished when it reached XP, well put together. Coming from a
UNIX/Linux world I would look at MS Win control panel and wonder if it
would be a good idea to go into the news groups and suggest that we get a
simmilar one.

We can't really claim that for any Linux distro other than Novell-Suse,
maybe Mandriva too (it is a long time since I looked at Mandriva, but their
admin area was well thought out I always thought). Unless you use webmin or
Yast our control panels tend on the whole to be not particularly well
suited for those who don't have a dome shaped head. Redhat have always
lacking in this area, it is surprising really because by now you would
think that some one at Redhat would have noticed that their System Tools,
System Settings and Preferences munus are getting so large that it would be
a struggle to fit them into any sort of dialog, they certainly wouldn't fit
well into a Windows control panel.