Re: Dirac, The Beeb's open-source video codec

  • Subject: Re: Dirac, The Beeb's open-source video codec
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:16:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 18 January 2007 17:05 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>>> I think we need to make sure that they don't do so in the future,
>>> though.  I suspect that it's unlikely, as they have a considerable
>>> number of people using linux and open-source internally, but senior
>>> people are always potential victims for the proprietary salesmen, as
>>> they're generally so technically inept.
>>
>> True, but the post roy keeps dumping here to try to make a point about
>> windows media formats being used and others dumped is patently untrue.
>> (At the moment)

I base on the Inquirer's article, which says that the BBC is heading down
this road. (MS)NBC received this type of treatment about 3 years ago. I used
to watch some shows on there... but Real was dropped when the overall agenda
was partly Microsoft's (Real neglected for various 'conveniences'). I am not
alone in this... I can recall some breaking news on NBC, which were simply
inaccesible to Mac users...

> I don't know that it is, in that, clearly someone believes an agreement
> was reached.  I'd be very interesting to know what that agreement is.
> For all we know, the only thing which stopped it going ahead has been
> people like myself raising this with the BBC having seen Roy's post, so
> perhaps repeating the posting is not a problem, indeed, could be
> helpful?

The gist of it all is that Microsoft will build BBC's new Internet portal.
There will be some major 'refurbishing' in the near future... to make BBC
more Web 2.0-ish. It is surprising that the BBC -- with all the technical
staff that they have -- actually lets a company with a shady history manage
its public site, funded by tax money.

>> The problem is, he keeps posting it even though he's been continually told
>> that real format IS still in use on the beeb. WMA is used too, yes.
>> But there's no exclusivity.
>
> So far... but what's stopping it?

Okay, let me just find that article...

Beeb breaks out with Windows WMA protection

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a press release from Sonos, the blokes over
| at the Beeb have decided to jump ship for relying on
| Realplayer for web content, and have switched over
| entirely to the Windows-friendly WMA format. Now
| that the BBC has made The Big Switch, BBC radio
| stations will be received automatically for users
| of wireless music and radio provider Sonos.

The Inquirer folks are responsive, so it might be worth taking any dispute to
them... in fact, they might even publish these... they do digests every now
and then... ones that present readers' comments.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | FreeBSD - sidling with a little devil
  4:05pm  up 95 days  2:19,  7 users,  load average: 0.64, 0.79, 0.88