Re: Abuse Report Filed. Re: Roy Schestowitz

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 21 January 2007 09:08 \__
>> Tattoo Vampire <tat2vampire@xxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> You pussy.

>> Once again, the attacks on Roy continue.

>> For the record, Roy's postings are very welcome, and are on topic
>> and not anti-charter.
>>
>> The posts are appreciated by a great number of people, including
>> myself and many many others.
>>
>> I say again, please Roy, keep up this great advocacy work.  This
>> group is a linux advocacy group, it's not an idle chatter group for
>> windows advocates, nor is it of any concern for people like the
>> character who claims to be a regular poster, and yet is certainly
>> not.
>>
>> This kind of behaviour is disgusting, and shillingford's ISP will
>> get a complaint if it does not stop, certainly from me, and I'm
>> sure from other regulars on-topic pro-charter posters in this
>> group.

> In my defense, the OP is a UseNet abuser. The feedback bound to my
> posts indicates that most readers do welcome my contributions:
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=xFvp2hoAAAAb4mOWpyzVaW0aq-bp9NGnjj6y1UsWUZHxqbrtGgkPow
>
> 4 out of 5, based  on 375 ratings.
>
> I only mention this in case an outsider blindly accepts the OP's
> criticism.

Just an open reply, not directed *at* you Roy.

The little Shill/Troll is wasting his breath. Demon are very clear on
the matter:

http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/producthelp/aup/usenetnews/discussion.html

.----
| Excessive posting
|
| Excessive posting, commonly referred to as "spamming", means the
| posting of lots of substantively similar news articles, usually to a
| large number of newsgroups.
|
| It is irrelevant whether the articles can be considered "on-topic"
| within the newsgroups or not. The problem caused by spamming is that
| Usenet resources are needed to store the articles and the cost to
| readers of the newsgroups to download duplicates of the same message.
|
| The Usenet community determines whether an article has been
| duplicated too often using the Breidbart Index (BI). This index
| measures the breadth of any multi-posting, cross-posting, or
| combinations of the two by calculating the sum of the square roots of
| the number of newsgroups each article was posted to. If that number
| reaches 20, then the postings are extremely likely to be cancelled by
| automatic systems which detect this type of abuse.
`----

IOW, what they define as excessive posting, is cross-posting to a
large number of groups, and under those circumstances Demon's policy
is to let the server's kill scripts handle it. Someone who is a
prolific poster in *one* group does *not* meet the criteria ... no
matter how much the Trolls would like him to.

Someone posting a large number of substantively *dissimilar* articles
(i.e. *not* the same post repeated) on the *same* group, does *not*
qualify as abuse, all else being equal. Unfortunately this even
includes the Trolls. Just because one disagrees with a poster's
opinion, doesn't make that opinion abuse, even if that person posts a
large number of articles citing examples to support his opinion.

Posting commercial spam is likely to be viewed as abuse, as is posting
binaries to text-only groups (both usually automatically filtered by
the likes of Cleanfeed). Stuff like death threats, stalking,
"grooming", or harassment, is usually referred directly to the police,
so our fictitious Mr. Shillingford should take heed.

As for the *content* of Roy's posts:

.----
| Objectionable content
|
| Usenet is a robust medium which is intended for use by adults.
| Demon's customers may post articles which offend or annoy other
| users. These may contain foul language or controversial viewpoints.
|                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| Demon does not consider this sort of article to be "abuse" and
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| actionable under the Usenet AUP.
|
| This is because the Internet community does not generally consider it
| appropriate for content based decisions to be made by anyone except
| by an individual on their own behalf. Therefore, if you are offended
| by articles made by a Demon Internet customer then you should arrange
| not to read them in the future, by using facilities provided within
| your newsreading software such as "killfiles".
`----

The majority of Roy's posts are merely reporting *others* opinions,
and how objectionable they are is a purely subjective opinion. If you're
a mindless, bottom-feeding, Microsoft Astroturfer, then naturally
you're going to start bawling like a little girl every time someone
exposes the ugly naked truth about Microsoft and its Slopware, or
reports about how much better the GNU/Linux platform is than that
kindergarten toy OS from Redmond. That's not abuse ... that's just
another day of news headlines.

Sorry Trolls (Ballmer's lackeys), looks like you'll just have to
accept the fact that Roy's [News] posts are here to stay. Maybe you
should try to grow a brain to debate with, rather than desperately
resorting to trying to disqualify the other team.

PS - Isn't is funny how these "kill Roy" posts always come from
One-Hit-Wonder posters? IOW - it's a gutless turd regular COLA
Troll.

Maybe instead of reporting the OP to his ISP, we should just call the
wardens at his hospital, since I'd say it's very obvious who this nut
is. No I'm not going to say it ... 'cos he'll just deny it anyway,
then start a huge and completely OT thread on why nobody can prove it
was him.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| "We shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support
| any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the
| success of liberty." - John F. Kennedy
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6
 23:14:51 up 64 days, 15:36,  3 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.18, 0.18