Re: Archos multimedia player

__/ [ Kier ] on Sunday 21 January 2007 19:55 \__

> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 19:44:04 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Kier ] on Sunday 21 January 2007 19:22 \__
>>
>>> I've been thinking about treating myself one of these, and I understand
>>> they're reasonably Linux-compatible, so has anyone here any experience
>>> with them?
>>>
>>> Or do they know of another similar kind of player, not more than 250
>>> quid, that might be suitable? I want to view mpeg videos, some ripped
>>> from DVD, and play mp3s. Hopefully without a lot of fart-arsing about :-)
>>
>> It is treated as a mass storage device by Linux and it stores/plays all
>> the common media formats. It is reasonably large ans heavy, so whether
>> it's the gadget to but depends on your needs. It's not something you can
>> carry in your pocket and use while on the street. It is, however, an
>> excellent entertainment system in case you have train journeys or find
>> yourself waiting for something while seated. I tried it a few months ago
>> at the airport. I think there are at least 3 models, so price/size is
>> something that's flexible. The interface is very slick and navigatio
>> intuitive (it's no Slackware).
>
> Cheers, Roy. I'd be going for one of the smaller versions (the biggest is
> a bit above my budget). There's a PVR version I realy fancy.

I wonder how/if the Nokia 700/800N copes with the same tasks. I think the
pricing is similar and the Nokia does more. The screen is probably smaller
thought and the early versions/tests of the 770 showed that heavy video
loads can lead to littering...

I have no practical hands-on experience with the Nokia Internet tablet. I'm
still stuck with Palm (since 2002), which I would happily replace at this
stage. I hope their transition to the Linux (to be completed later this
year) will bring about wonderful things. I hope the new software be able to
migrate the data, as well as run Palm OS applications without quirks... I
think that's one of the things which leads to delays.