Re: MS pays fines in MS software licenses ..

  • Subject: Re: MS pays fines in MS software licenses ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:52:48 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 19 January 2007 08:12 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Friday 12 January 2007 17:01 \__
>>
>>> "The Tennessee Department of Education will distribute $15,315,586.25
>>> in software vouchers to local school systems as a result of a
>>> settlement in a lawsuit against Microsoft Corporation"
>>>
>>> "Local administrators may use software vouchers for current or future
>>> Microsoft operating system software"
>>>
>>> http://www.state.tn.us/education/news/nr/2006/12_18_06.shtml
>>
>> Microsoft was found guilty. Its payment is admission of this (merely an
>> attempt to escape prosection). Why the heck should more software be
>> acquired from the criminal? Why does this recur? It's outrageous.
>>
>> The scenario is intended to end up with jailed executives, not a
>> settlement that shackles even /more/ people, especially now that software
>> is made which is more Draconian than ever before.
>>
>> Parables involving drug dealers spring to mind.
>>

> This is the height of third-world and US corruption.  I've no idea how
> on earth anyone could possibly consider this to be a settlement of any
> kind.  Are Microsoft not considered to be the world's richest company by
> many?  Should they not be fined?  Do not the legal people understand
> that Microsoft's production costs are ZERO?  Do they not understand that
> vouchers for Microsoft software merely means that Microsoft have yet
> again broken the law and got away with it?

The "production cost" part of your argument is a nice one... worth a mental
note! Punish the drug dealer by giving him a lethal (but not deadly) doze of
cocaine. Microsoft is trippin'.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
roy      pts/2                         Sat Jan 20 00:21 - 00:21  (00:00)