Re: [News] Good Times for Python and Linux...

____/ BearItAll on Tuesday 10 July 2007 16:28 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Python Magazine Lives
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | There are columnists, there are tech editors, there are authors.
>> | Articles have been commissioned. Logos and trademarks are in place. The
>> | design team is rocking, the contract team is rolling, and the emails are
>> | flying. In the background, the sound of constant typewriter activity can
>> | be heard, just like on those old newscasts from the old Cronkite days.
>> | Exciting times!
>> `----
>>
>> http://m0j0.wordpress.com/2007/07/03/python-magazine-lives/
>>
>> Google uses Python heavily.
>>
>> Other good news...
>>
>> InetServices Adds Ubuntu and Debian Operating Systems
>> http://www.hostreview.com/news/press/070710InetServicesLLC.html
>>
>> And free adverts too?
>>
>> http://flickr.com/photos/urban_data/766589103/in/pool-graffitiresearchlab/
>
> Can I make a confession. I know I risk boiling oil, tar and feathers. But of
> all the languages we have for scripting and coding in UNIX/Linux, I always
> thought that Python was the worst one.

Just make sure you don't say this in the wrong forum. Pythons can bite (the
flamebait

> Oh of cause I know it has it's followers and I will admit that I can switch
> to it on occasion, I used to use the calculator a lot, I also used the
> matrix classes a fair bit at one time, they are very good and very easy to
> manipulate.
>
> It's just the language itself that I don't like.
>
> The indenting is a pain in the bum, miss a tab and you've got a bug,
> brackets are much better than indents I reckon. The ranges and lists are
> good, I think it was the first that had a range function (was it the first?
> I'm not sure, I think it was the first language where I came across it, my
> memory isn't what it once was. I'm not old, I'm just a piss-ead). Others
> have ranges too now and don't kick you in the manlies if you miss the tab
> key.

Maybe you can fork it to suit your preference, but then it would not be
compatible with Python code. That's why Sun hesitated on GPL-ing Java.

> oh yes and the fights I have had with bleeding classes ....... {wanders off
> into the sunset moaning about various aspects of bleeding Python}

I've never used Python. I've seen some code and used some, but never hacked on
it, so I don't know if I can add anything. Two years ago I met the cofounder
of WordPress at a local coffee shop (he's from Stockport). He told me that he
had  mastered Python very quickly. It was only a matter of syntax to him (like
most P/Ls, unless you leap between paradigms and land on ones that you never
studied).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
Cpu(s): 26.2%us,  4.5%sy,  1.0%ni, 64.1%id,  3.8%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st