Re: [News] Microsoft Accepts Zero Profit in China in Order to Fight GNU/Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 10 July 2007 15:09 : \____

>> How Microsoft conquered China
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Then a different form of resistance emerged. Beijing's city government
>>| started installing free open-source Linux operating systems on workers'
>>| PCs. (The Chinese Academy of Sciences promoted a version called Red
>>| Flag Linux.) Meanwhile security officials were troubled that government
>>| and military operations depended on Microsoft software made in the U.S.
>>| Could the technology be spying on China?
>>|
>>| [...]
>>| Today Gates openly concedes that tolerating piracy turned out to be
>>| Microsoft's best long-term strategy. That's why Windows is used on an
>>| estimated 90% of China's 120 million PCs. "It's easier for our software
>>| to compete with Linux when there's piracy than when there's not,"
>>| Gates says. "Are you kidding? You can get the real thing, and you get
>>| the same price." Indeed, in China's back alleys, Linux often costs
>>| more than Windows because it requires more disks. And Microsoft's
>>| own prices have dropped so low it now sells a $3 package of Windows
>>| and Office to students.
>> `----
>>
>> http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/07/23/100134488/
>>
>> The market of Linux in China was up 41% last year, despite Microsoft's
>> attempts to get people 'addicted' to Windows (see below).
>
> Doesn't this count as dumping?  Isn't it illegal?

Try to blame Gates for dumping his MSFT shares as well. Who would police Gates?
He has pals in Parliament and governments wordwide. Remember: the least we can
do is point it out and pass on the information. The truth is otherwise
suppressed. USENET is not moderated, so it can't be acquired and censored
(unless USENET is somehow equated to Google Groups now). Either way, I keep
local copies of my posts.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: A dragonfly only lives for one day
Tasks: 114 total,   1 running, 113 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie