[News] Linux is Growing on the Desktop

[Scoble:] Is 2008 finally going to be “year of Linux on the desktop?”

,----[ Quote ]
| On Saturday at the iPhoneDevCamp someone was showing me his computer. It was
| running Ubuntu. Linux. I noted to myself that it finally got over some of the
| ugliness that turned me off of earlier Linux-on-the-desktop attempts. He
| showed me, and a few other people some of the cool things (much nicer 3D
| switching than even OSX has, for instance). Damn, I thought to myself, it’s
| time to give Linux another look.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/blogtalk/2007/07/09/2008-to-be-year-of-linux-on-the-desktop

As usual, Dell plays a role when it comes to people's perceptions. This one
comes from a former Microsoft evangelist.

Can Linux Adoption Ever be Accurately Gauged?

,----[ Quote ]
| Determining usage and growth of Free software has always been a challenge.
| For over a decade, arguments have been held – sometimes flamewars – whose
| central point was the usage level of software that is freely distributed.
| While market share can be estimated based on sales numbers.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3687616

I made Slashdot.