Re: How to Suck Up to Microsoft

On Jul 9, 5:17 pm, Linonut <lino...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
> > Hint:  Don't mentioin Google.  Don't mention Linux, either.
>
> > The trolls riducule the idea that businesses don't reveal the extent
> > of their involvement with Open Source because of fears of what
> > Microsoft will do.

Microsoft has long fingers for picking deep pockets.  More than a few
CIOs have found out that Microsoft often has a better relationship
with the CEO than they do.  There are so many different ways Microsoft
can make life miserable for a CIO, or a CEO for that matter.  They can
influence the content for at least 3 Cable TV networks, they can run
license audits, they can leak information to other sources, and they
have an "interesting" relationship with several agencies of the United
States Government.

The Gates foundation has given substantial sums of money to the "pet
charities" of numerous politicians, has encouraged employees to attend
political fund raisers (paid for their plate?), and has even openly
made substantial contributions to numerous winning candidates, often
very early in their campaign, even prior to the primaries.

> >http://rcpmag.com/features/article.aspx?editorialsid=741
>    Don't run Lotus Notes as your e-mail client.

This pretty much eliminates anyone who does business with banks,
insurance companies, and financial services companies, where
maintaining an accurate e-mail archive is actually a statutory
requirement (Treasury, SEC, et al).  In most of these companies, Notes
isn't even optional, NOT using notes for business correspondence can
lead to federal charges.

>    Don't talk about the music you listened to on your iPod on the trip
>    to Redmond or to a field office.

Tell them you listened to it on your Zune and they will be
interested?  If you
are that obsessed with music, you are in the wrong place.  You might
have
90 minutes to present your case, in hopes of getting seed money or a
partnership
status that could be worth $millions, and you're talking about Music?

>    Don't schedule online meetings on WebEx or call people from Microsoft
>    on Skype.

Because those are Linux powered, and Linux friendly.

>    And, above all, don't "Google."

And you shouldn't talk to Jim Dobson of Focus on the Family about your
same-sex
life-partner, and how upset you were about missing the chance to get
married when
you had it.

>    You get the point by now: It might sound trite, but showing a
>    commitment to Microsoft products and technologies is critical when
>    meeting with Microsoft people.

[snip]

>    "Mention Vista," he continues, referring to the operating system
>    that Microsoft released earlier this year. "Say [you're] running it
>    and what a productivity boost it is." Harvath notes that bad
>    feedback about Vista has filtered back to Microsoft through
>    corporate accounts and the channel, so a positive review of it from
>    a partner could be a key to making a good impression.

[snip]

> This article has got to be a joke.

No, the article was essentially written by a consultant who
specializes in getting people ready for interviews with Microsoft,
when they want to become Microsoft "Partners".

I suppose there are still lots of small companies who are still under
the delusion that if they can kiss up to Microsoft's some of "Billy's
Billionz" will "rub off" on them.

They don't seem to understand that Billy got his Billions by making
sure that money traveled only one way - from everybody else's pocket
into his.  Sure, there is some seed money, but when the crop is ready
for harvest, the farm-house will be burned down with all the people in
it, and it will be Microsoft harvesting the crop.  Or maybe they'll
even wait until the crop has been harvested, loaded into the truck,
and ready to be taken to market, then they'll shoot the farmer.

The difference is that Microsoft doesn't use guns, they use lawyers.
The SEC is rife with Microsoft's "Dead Bodies", companies who were
once worth $billions, who are now a footnote in some other company's
financial reports.  Even most of Microsoft's ''successful" partners
end up in the mass graves.

Lotus, WordPerfect, Corel, DBase, Netscape, Novell (pre Linux), and so
on.  If you really look hard, you might even find a place to buy their
products - but you can't buy their stock anymore.

> Please tell me it's a freakin' joke.

Actually, he's probably deadly serious.  Keep in mind that Microsoft
wants to protect every possible bit of intellectual property that it
can.  Knowing that you have been "polluted" by exposure to other
company's products, ESPECIALLY OSS, means that they have no plausible
deniability in a case of patent disputes or copyright disputes.