[News] Web-based Software Gains Momentum with Devices, Disrupts and Scares the the Luddites

  • Subject: [News] Web-based Software Gains Momentum with Devices, Disrupts and Scares the the Luddites
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:16:01 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Facing Web 2.0 Fear in the Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| The scary part of Web 2.0 is that it infringes on the historical IT control
| and power. That creates problems in a modern knowledge-based
| environment. "Part of the job of a CIO is to create policies that prevent
| artificial pockets of power based on secrets and individuals exploiting power
| and not sharing it," said JP Rangaswami CIO of global services at BT.

OpenLaszlo and the iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Which raises the issue: what about using OpenLaszlo to develop for the
| iPhone? Well, in some ways this is a very natural fit. Besides enabling the
| style of UI that the iPhone has embraced, OpenLaszlo 4 works very, very well
| with the Safari 3 (desktop) browser, and does not require Flash or Java to
| deliver rich applications — which is great, since the iPhone has neither
| Flash nor Java.
`----

http://weblog.openlaszlo.org/archives/2007/07/openlaszlo-and-the-iphone/

No need to download and install software either. Many of the same applications
are available to Linux devices with a decent Web browser.

Related:

After the Desktop -- What?

,----[ Quote ]
| I would suggest that the open source community should stop obsessing
| with the battle for the desktop, and start focusing on the battle for
| the platform that will replace it. As I have said before, the day
| will soon come when the notion of having to go to a particular
| machine on a particular room every time you need access to
| information or computer power will be as obsolete as the notion
| of having to go to the hand pump over the well in the front
| yard every time you need water.
`----

http://trevors-trinkets.blogspot.com/2007/02/after-desktop-what.html

FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
| I see the mobile Linux wave out in the ocean and am sounding the
| alarm--the mobile Linux tide is rising. Be prepared.
`----

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/feature-mobile-linux-why-it-will-become-the-dominant-mobile-os/2007-01-03

Linux Growth Accelerates with Server Shipments in 4th QTR 2006

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Hardware/Linux_Growth_Accelerates_with_Server_Shipments_in_4th_QTR_2006