Re: Huge Bill for Bill After XBox360 Disasters, Microsoft Continues with the Big Lie

After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> I mean, really, some things they have
> done regarding security have been deliberately stupid and backward,
> and they didn't help anything even from their standpoint.

   http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/ipv6/teredo.mspx

Is this typical?  Talk up the benefits, but not the downside?

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

   Exposure

   In a sense, Teredo increases the attack surface by assigning a
   globally routable IPv6 addresses to network host behind NAT devices,
   which are otherwise mostly unreachable from the Internet. By doing
   so, Teredo namely exposes any IPv6-enabled application with an open
   port to the outside. It also exposes the IPv6 stack and the Teredo
   tunneling software themselves to attacks should any they have any
   remotely exploitable vulnerability.

   Microsoft IPv6 stack has a "protection level" socket option. It
   allows applications to specify whether they are willing to handle
   traffic coming from the Teredo tunnel, anything except Teredo (the
   default), or only from the local Intranet.

   Firewalling

   For a Teredo (pseudo-)tunnel to operate properly, outgoing UDP
   packets must not be filtered. Moreover, replies to these packets
   (i.e. "solicited traffic") must also not be filtered. This
   corresponds to the typical setup of a NAT and its limited stateful
   firewall functionality.

   Blocking

   Teredo tunneling software will detect a fatal error and stop if
   outgoing IPv4 UDP traffic is blocked.

> Microsoft
> is frequently credited with "getting it right on the third try", for
> example, with IE (getting it right meant producing something
> technically comparable to Netscape, in that case), and they may
> eventually do something similar with Vista, at least insofar as things
> like drivers, copying files etc are concerned (I'm sure the DRM will
> remain).

Ironically:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo

   Teredo may refer to:

    * Teredo, a genus of shipworm that bores holes in the wood of ships.
    * Teredo wood, a form of fossilized wood showing marks of
      shipworm damage
    * The Teredo tunneling protocol for transmission of IPv6
      datagrams through network address translation devices.

--
Tux rox!