Re: [News] The Telegraph Suggests People Try Linux on Old Hardware

____/ Oldtech on Saturday 07 July 2007 04:22 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Let your computer fly free [with Linux]
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | he first port of call was finding an operating system that could replace
>> | Windows. Linux, the free, open-source platform, was the obvious choice.
>> | There are dozens of Linux-based systems to choose from, but one of the
>> | simplest to use is Ubuntu. You simply download and install it to your
>> | computer and hey presto - an operating system. In terms of look and feel,
>> | it's a little like a cross between Windows and the operating system used
>> | for Macs, but it has an intuitive interface and comes bundled with
>> | essentials such as a word processor, spreadsheet application and
>> | presentation software, and is fully compatible with Microsoft document
>> | formats for viewing and editing.
>> `----
>
> Obviously oblivious to the Compriz Beryl 3D desktop environment of
> Ubuntu, Mepis, and many other of the hundreds of Distros of GNU/Linux.
>
> No mention of the 19,000 programs that are: games, applications, Suites,
> browsers, tools.  Blows Vista away!  Multiple monitors, different
> desktops, or one desktop spread over multiple monitors!  Yeah, it's all
> on YouTube in a search for Linux or Beryl, or Compriz.

I've seen (read) Beryl/XGL running on a 800MHz PC with a very old graphics
card. This might actually make those old boxes more attractive than Vista in
its Aero Glass gown (little glory).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fconnected%2F2007%2F07%2F07%2Fdlfree07.xml

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/07/as_specialized.html

> 315 Free Distros at http://livecdlist.com

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
Tasks: 125 total,   1 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie