Re: [News] Linux Becomes Big in Europe, Britain Still Suffers from Discriminative Procurement Policies

On 2007-07-06, Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The EULAs are almost certainly invalid in the UK, as are software patents,
> however, that doesn't mean that copyright law doesn't apply, it does,
> so you still need a legitimately licensed copy of Windows, however,
> you /cannot/ license software patents, because they are not valid here
> (or anywhere else except the US, Canada, Mexico and Australia), so it
> is impossible to purchase a legitimate licence for same from anyone,
> including Microsoft.

OIC. I forgot about copyright law. Thanks for the explanation because
I was confused how this all played out.
FWIW my personal feeling about EULA in general is that it does nothing
to protect the consumer and does everything to protect the vendor.
I'm not sure how I fee about software patents though because that is
a most complex issue. I have to give that one some more thought.