[News] Free Web-based Services Become Popular, Require Open Standards

  • Subject: [News] Free Web-based Services Become Popular, Require Open Standards
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 12:32:19 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Social networking shows explosive growth in Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| New research shows that the use of social media such as YouTube in
| Australia is soaring pushing Australians onto international sites at
| the expense of local destinations.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13345&Itemid=1054

Google gives away FeedBurner

,----[ Quote ]
| You knew this was coming. Weeks after it paid $100 million for
| news-feed management company Feedburner, Google has removed all
| price tags from the company's services.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/05/google_feedburner_services_free/

Perspective: Open standards for social networking

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking over the landscape of recent blog posts on open social networking,
| it's clear that folks are interested in connecting together some of their
| disparate accounts on a wide range of social networks.
`----

http://news.com.com/2010-1038_3-6194817.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Here is what Sweaty Steve said about standards...

Ballmer on SQL Server 2005

,----[ Quote ]
| [Author:] Is there any chance you'll support the Open Document Format for
| Office Applications, which the Massachusetts government's IT division is
| adopting as its standard?
|
| [Sweaty:] We've announced support today for the PDF format, which is one of
| the interoperability formats the state of Massachusetts has indicated. We
| have our own formats for doing kind of bridge documents of our own styles. So
| I think that's where our energies are focused right now.
|
| [Author:] Never say never?
|
| [Sweaty:] That's where our energies are focused.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1939940098;fp;2;fpid;4

Could Microsoft be more vain and egocentric?