Re: [News] ELive Announces the Big Linux Release on Web Site, Kaella 3.1 Released

____/ BearItAll on Friday 06 July 2007 09:23 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> The big 1.0. They've put up a Flashy video as well.
>>
>> http://www.elivecd.org/
>>
>> Kaella 3.1 released as well:
>>
>> http://kaella.linux-azur.org/
>>
>> French Knoppix.
>
> Notice in there the Elive for MacBook, not released yet. I suppose that of
> all the Linux distros Elive is probably the most likely to appeal to Mac
> users.

Because of the look and feel?

> The video that Elive shows though is likely to put some off. Elive's love of
> black or dark greys for a start, I find it hard to read those screens. But
> then you get aliens fireing laser blasters while your trying to read.
> Bloody aliens and their laser blasters, always turning up at the wrong
> times.

Well, [H]omer used to have quite a nice Enlightenment (on Debian) video in his
blog. I haven't had a chance to watch this new one.

> I will say though that when I tried Elive I really liked it, I was going
> through a phase where I wanted something very different, well I've been
> UNIX/Linux for so many years that even an updated ZX Spectrum would have
> appealed to me just for the sake of change.

That's where you did all your musical work, isn't it? Have you uploaded it to
the Web from that USB thumbdrive?

> These people haven't just gone out of their way to be different, they have
> done better than that, they have gone out of their way to appeal to a
> different sort of audience. Still with all of the safety and security of
> Linux, but with high end eye candy. It doesn't stop there though, the
> default set of applications are also in tune with the distro, a great set
> of multi-media applications, some will be familiar to most Linux users,
> others were new to me but a good choice. As you go through the various
> tools and applications these people have selected very good set of each.

The version bump is quite an odd one. All the recent development releases were
0.6.x. The 1.0 milestone suddenly seems like a ray of hope. I haven't used
Enlightenment for about 5 years, by the way, but it was my favourite because I
like eye candy and effects (provided the hardware permits it).

> Their site announces the first stable release of Elive 1.0 You could be
> forgiven for wondering how this can be the first stable release. I must say
> that I hadn't realised that the previous versions were all development
> releases.
>
> There wasn't any problems with the one I tried, these people must be
> perfectionist. I had a look in distrowatch and the first mention of Elive
> is in 2005. Well I think these chaps have done very well, not only in
> coming up with a great distro that is in a playing field all of it's own,
> but also that they are so set on ensuring a good experience with Elive that
> they have held off from the first official stable release until they were
> absolutely sure it was ready.

It doesn't seem like they receive a very warm response in Digg. It's almost as
though all these Ubuntu users know nothing other than GNOME. Many of them are
even hostile towards KDE.

> I would recommend Elive to anyone, you should all certainly have a go of the
> Live version even if you like the distro that you have. Try the Live one
> just as a bit of encouragement to yourself, because it proves to you that
> Linux can appeal to the eye candy guys as well as any operating system.
> Then when you have finished looking at that, open the drum machine and
> write a tune. I wrote a potential top ten hit, it went bump bump thud thud
> thud, I wonder if Britney would be interested in releasing it.

Oh, yeah, so I remembered this correctly. It's worth mentioning that ELive runs
on very old hardware like Pentium Is. I don't know how they do it, but the
desktop environment is probably very light underneath. The PS3 doesn't have
much horsepower that's actually available for non-firmware installations,
which is probably why YDL chose Enlightenment... odd choice to some. Fedora
for PS3 comes with GNOME.

Within reason, consider Free software. The best things in life are also free.