Re: [News] Google Leaves Microsoft and Yahoo Further Behind

____/ Rick on Thursday 05 July 2007 21:46 : \____

> On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:12:57 -0700, John Bailo wrote:
>
>> Joey Chestnuts wrote:
>>

>>> Watchdog accuses Google of invading the privacy of its internet surfers
>>> http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2099754,00.html
>>>

>>> Google privacy 'worst on the Web'
>>> http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/internet/06/11/google.privacy.ap/
>>>

>>> Google has the worst privacy record of all the major internet
>>> companies, according to a new study.
>>>
>> http://scmagazine.com/uk/news/article/663960/study-google-rated-worst-
> privacy/
>>>

>> The thing that puzzles me is what is the real value added about Google
>> that can't be replicated?
>>
>> First of all they use the simplest of information search technology:
>> Boolean logic.
>>
>> After that it's clustering Linux servers to make a model of the web and
>> presenting results based on past users and hyperlinks to similar subject
>> matter.
>>
>> It shouldn't take that much to put a competitor up to Google.   It also
>> illustrates that the Open model for software does not extend to projects
>> that really on high capital investment in hardware.   There is no
>> similar structure in place and it really limits the effectiveness of GPL
>> in the networked Web 2.0 world.
>
> Network effects and mindshare. A lot of the world Googles now for
> information. The brand birthed a verb. And now Google is branching out
> into software. Soon it will be a well know application brand.

Isn't it already. It recently topped Microsoft as a brand name (for the first
time, I think) and it's branding all sort of desktop applications (which it
actually acquires, just like Microsoft does).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Real E-mail -> Harvest -> Fraud -> Spammers profit
 07:05:02 up 19 days, 12:33,  4 users,  load average: 1.67, 1.96, 1.87