Re: [News] Other Linux Products That Extinguish iPhone Envy, Offer Freedom

  • Subject: Re: [News] Other Linux Products That Extinguish iPhone Envy, Offer Freedom
  • From: waterskidoo <water.skidoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 17:12:14 +0000 (UTC)
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:te1teIlThsAkrRk66uGqTI/NcQA=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On 2007-07-05, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Meet the 'IPhoney': How to Roll Your Own IPhone
>
>| Also, these Linux phones will have one particular feature we likely
>| won't be seeing on the iPhone anytime soon -- the ability to make
>| calls using voice over internet protocol.
> `----
>
> http://www.wired.com/software/coolapps/news/2007/07/iphoney
That's pretty crazy! What Linux needs though is some good old
fashioned advertising so that people know what Linux can do.
While I personally admire Apple's products I'm the first to
concede that much of the fascination is hype and proper
target advertising. Apple is an innovator that is true, the ipod
and iPhone screen input are proof of this, but where would Apple
be without a huge advertising budget? This is what Linux needs, some
good mainstream press. What Apple does is come up with some new
and unusual features and then market the snot out of them so that
by the time the product is released, the potential users are
in a frenzy to get one. Harry Potter books are another example
of this kind of marketing.