Re: Dual Booting Vista & Linux - experiences? Horror Stories?

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 05 July 2007 15:29 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 05 Jul 2007 00:17:09 +0100
> <1341349.bHpMjXMVDp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> ____/ Rex Ballard on Wednesday 04 July 2007 20:35 : \____
>>
>>> I recently got a request via e-mail from someone who wanted to install
>>> Linux and Vista in "Dual Boot" mode.
>>> I opted not to get Vista, because I wanted to use Linux as the primary
>>> OS and Windows as a client in VMWare.  Since Vista has so many
>>> restrictions and needs so much memory, XP just made more sense for me.
>>>
>>> What experience have others had with the "Dual Boot" environment.  Any
>>> new caveats?
>>
>> Yesterday I read a story from someone who had his Vista not
>> playing nice with Linux (twice even, with different stories).
>> It makes you wonder if it's being turned into a nightmare
>> simply by design. We already know that Vista wipes the MBR.
>>

> Nothing new there; Microsoft Windows has been wiping MBRs since the
> Win95 era. ;-)

It wipes some other things too. Last week:

Microsoft deletes mass Xbox 360 crashing claims from Forza 2 forums

,----[ Quote ]
| In what appears to be an effort to conceal the over 900 replies gamers
| provided on the official Forzamotorsport.net forums about Forza Motorsport 2
| crashing on the Xbox 360, Microsoft has deleted the long thread, now stating
| that it’s “exclusive content for registered forum users” only. However, the
| thread was removed entirely, even to registered members.
`----

http://gamerush.zoomshare.com/files/my_images/GameRush_Entertainment_Microsoft_deletes_mass_Xbox_360_crashing_claims_from_Forza_2_forums_News.htm

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Pentiums melt in your PC, not in your hand"
 16:05:01 up 18 days, 21:33,  4 users,  load average: 0.32, 0.87, 1.05