Re: Vista NOT More Secure Than Linux

____/  earlyblueberry@xxxxxxxxx on Wednesday 04 July 2007 09:48 : \____

> Thanks again, I think I understand the analogy very well.
> But what I have been interested in the intention of the author of
> adding that phrase:
> "which is a related (but not identical) conversation."
> What does he intend to say with the phrase?
>
> ------quote-----------
> To be fair, both OS X and Linux are successfully hacked far less
> frequently than Windows. One of the reasons, of course, is that
> Windows is simply installed on more PCs and is a much more obvious
> choice for hackers to attack. But the data that Jones presents
> suggests that Vista, in particular, is subjected to fewer dangerous
> security bugs than the competition, which is a related (but not
> identical) conversation. In other words, OS X and Linux might have
> more severe security flaws. But Windows, obviously, is attacked more
> frequently in the real world. So which system is really "more
> secure"?
> ------unquote-----------
>
> No one should had expected to hear that Vista has fewer bugs until
> Jones said so.
> And Jone's conversation is related to "something" but not identical to
> "it" --  I think that is what the author wants to say, but I wonder
> what "something" is.
> It may refer to the fact that OS X and Linux has been hacked less
> frequently.
> If so, then, why the author had to say: Jone's conversation is related
> to the fact that OS X and Linux has been hacked less frequently, but
> not identical to it.
>
> Maybe the author's logic is not clear here.

You've opened up my eyes. It's just poorly written. If the reader fails to
comprehend this with confidence, then it needs rewriting. It seems a little
fuzzy and ambiguous. The "conversation" is not mentioned beforehand (not in
the (sub-)quote you had there, so it seems to lack clarity (maybe it's
deliberate, but I doubt it).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    It is no longer uncommon to be uncommon