Re: OpenOffice Writer freezing on .doc format docs

____/ William Poaster on Wednesday 04 July 2007 00:18 : \____

> It was on, or about,  Tue, 03 Jul 2007 18:01:14 +0100, that as I was
> halfway through a large jam doughnut, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ Jim on Saturday 30 June 2007 11:21 : \____
>>
>>> Rockinghorse Winner came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard
>>> a moment ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

>>> reports so
>>> unpredictable.
>>> feature,

>>> Doesn't help that Microsoft .doc is a CLOSED FORMAT. Stop complaining
>>> to those who adhere to sensible standards (ie OpenDocument), and kick
>>> Microsoft up the arse. Or just kick Microsoft altogether and complain
>>> to those who would cripple your workday with closed format files and
>>> DEMAND open standards in the workplace.
>>
>> +1.
>
> Interesting article in a linux mag I just got. It involves Fista & M$
> Office 2007, a trial version of course which would cease to function
> after a certain time. The guy installed OpenOffice, & explained what it
> could do etc. He was asked if he could show the documents that had been
> done in M$ Office 2007. As it turned out, he couldn't......& why? Because
> M$ is up to it's "lock in" tricks again. Instead of being in .doc form,
> they're in .docx form! ok, he opened M$ Office 2007 & tried to saved them
> in .doc form so OOo could read them......er....no! The "Save As.." entry
> in the menu system was *greyed out*, as were "Copy" & "Paste"!!??!
> "These features are only available in the full version. Click here to
> purchase it" said a pop-up notice.
>
> Yes, another M$ attempt at "lock in", folks. What a bag of shit.

Yes, Jeremy Allison wrote about exactly that a while ago. Greed and dirty
tricks.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
 01:00:01 up 17 days,  6:28,  4 users,  load average: 2.55, 1.86, 1.13