Re: OpenOffice Writer freezing on .doc format docs

It was on, or about,  Thu, 05 Jul 2007 11:18:48 +0100, that as I was
halfway through a large jam doughnut, Mark Kent wrote:

> William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> It was on, or about,  Wed, 04 Jul 2007 01:02:43 +0100, that as I was
>> halfway through a large jam doughnut, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> ____/ William Poaster on Wednesday 04 July 2007 00:18 : \____

>>> Yes, Jeremy Allison wrote about exactly that a while ago. Greed and
>>> dirty tricks.
>>
>> And while we're on it, Roy, I don't know if you've seen what the
>> National Archives are up to with M$. Again, IMO, it's sheer ignorance
>> by the IT people at National Archives for allowing M$ to take charge of
>> this.
>>
>> "....some critics question Microsoft's approach and ask why the firm
>> has created its own new standard, rather than adopting a rival system,
>> called the Open Document Format.
>> [==]
>> Ben Laurie, director of the Open Rights Group, said: "This is a well-
>> known, standard Microsoft move.
>>
>> "Microsoft likes lock-ins. Typically what happens is that you end up
>> with two or three standards."

> Apparently, the "greyed out" .doc save in Vista Word was also covered in
> some depth in the Observer last sunday.
>
> The national archives issue is one of the biggest jokes in history, the
> only solution Microsoft will offer is to charge you to upgrade and
> change the format every year for a phenomenal support charge, and when
> you decide you've had enough, they'll charge you ten times that to move
> it to something open.

As I've said before, M$ relies on people's ignorance of choice. That is,
they don't want people to know there *is* a choice.

> Unfortunately, we don't seem to have any engineers left in the UK -
> perhaps this is what comes of dumbing down degrees so that 50% of the
> population get one instead of 5%.

Yes, it's a sad but true fact. I got mine in the 1960's, when a degree
was *worth* something.

--
"Anything said in COLA is a crock of shit."
Hadron Quark, Tuesday 03 Jul 2007