Re: Input devices [was Re: Is Google Becoming More Like Microsoft (in a Bad Way)?]

____/ Tracy R Reed on Monday 02 July 2007 11:08 : \____

> Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Fortunately I use a Dvorak keyboard and I can type about 80 words per
>> minute.  I'm lots of fun on chats. :-D
>
> Hey Rex!
>
> I've been pondering going to dvorak for many years. But how can you use
> emacs or vi when the keys get shifted around? Even if I did successfully
> learn it I just can't see using vi or emacs as the key patterns would be
> crazy when hjkl get moved around. If anything I would consider going to
> a totally different input technology altogether. I would really like to
> go to something like:
>
> http://www.datahand.com/
>
> Because it doesn't even have a concept of key positions. But these are
> very pricey and the fact that only one company makes it and it isn't a
> standard scares me. I would be very upset if I invested so much time in
> mastering the thing and then the company went under.
>
> At the moment I use a Happy Hacker keyboard and I am pretty satisfied
> with it. I love the small size and the control key being where it
> belongs. Just wondering if there isn't an even less stressful way to go
> about entering text.

I know you're expecting Rex to give his opinion, but I can't help spewing out a
personal perspective.

The issue of duality probably has a cost. In a world where not all devices
support Dvorak layout and many public terminal are closed to options, one has
to be used to both. I've read that people who move to Dvorak can mentally
switch from one layout to another (just like language), but from a productive
point-of-view, this just leaves me doubtful. Dvorak is a mountain to climb (an
investment in the learning sense).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
Swap:  1510068k total,   511328k used,   998740k free,    49848k cached