Re: Vista sales continue to surge!

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 20 July 2007 15:41 : \____

> Just this moment CNN is reporting that Microsoft stock is down 2%.
> Guess that Vista cash infusion isn't helping too much.

The buybacks might. I think there's only one company in America (world?) whose
buyback scale exceeds Microsoft's... and that company isn't in high tech.

Just as a reminder, Microsoft earns a mere $40 or so from Vista sales through
major OEMs. In some countries, Vista just gets pirated (and so does Office).
All other divisions appear to be losing money, so where can a lot of income
come from? It's still flowing, but there's a squeeze. Gates has even
begun "dumping" software just to keep the young generation addicted so that he
can 'collect' later. The trolls keep reminding us that everyone uses Windows
and Office, but how many people (worldwide!) actually /pay/ for it? If
Microsoft tightened the grip in Romania, for instance, there would be a
massive migration to OpenOffice.org, which kills the lockin's
(OOXML/.DOX/whatever) momentum.

Microsoft has begun experimenting with pay-as-you-go Winffice. They called it a
success in Africa. They also realise that they must move online or perish (ask
the chief, which said this last week). Can revenue survive with the shift? Is
offshoring inevitable?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Download Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 117 total,   1 running, 116 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie