Re: Vista sales continue to surge!

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Nedd Ludd
<1313@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:19:01 -0400
<t5mdnYkz67Z6hDzbnZ2dnUVZ_uuqnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> That's it. I'm filtering all posts from Outlook Express.
>
> Why?
>

>> FWIW, Microsoft changed the way it reports earning, so it's comparing apples
>> (last year) with oranges (this year). Nice play, but it only fools the
>> investors, who are not stupid (they are just not as clever as most people
>> because they think MSFT is worth investing in).
>
> Changes to how financials are reported would require a line in the
> footnotes describing the change.  I didn't see it.  Could you point me
> to the line in MSFT's 10Q where they describe the change?
>
> Also, statistic in the financial reports that compare this year's
> numbers to a previous year's would require that previous year's numbers
> be recalculated to reflect any changes in how earning are calculated.
>
> Please notify the SEC if you feel that MSFT improperly made changes the
> changes to their accounting practices.  If you are not willing to stand
> by your accusations with a formal report to the SEC then we'll assume
> you're a liar.

It makes no difference; Vista is doing very well in the
marketplace, generating unprecedented sales for Microsoft.
But there is a fundamental disconnect here -- several,
in fact.

[1] Microsoft continues to sell its OS primarily through
    OEMs.  These OEMs are contractually obligated to
    sell Vista machines, presumably; therefore, any new
    machine, absent special consideration by these OEMs
    (e.g., Dell's Ubuntu promotion), must have Vista
    preinstalled thereon.

[2] Microsoft sells Vista, but that doesn't mean customers
    will *use* Vista; many may very well wipe the disk
    and install XP, or wipe and install Ubuntu or any of
    a number of distros.  Microsoft still gets its money,
    despite that particular license never being used
    at all.

[3] It is possible (I'm not sure how likely) that at
    least part of that revenue is being realized by a
    customer upgrading his system to Ultimate from Home
    Basic or some other lower edition.  The Ultimate or
    business editions are the only editions which have
    certain desirable functionality.

How much % any of these will factor in is not clear to
me at this time absent additional data.

And then there's the issue as to whether this has relevance
to Linux.  I say that it does, if only in the commercial
realm -- any dollar spent on Vista is one dollar less
that could be spent on Red Hat, machine improvements,
good sandwiches, a new car, etc.  To that end, the report
appears to be of peripheral importance, but not totally
irrelevant.

As for Microsoft accounting changes -- again, I have
no data.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.