Re: [News] TG Daily Marches towards Desktop Linux for the First Time

> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 20 July 2007 18:19 : \____

>>> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 20 July 2007 13:32 : \____

>>> I had an argument about this in Digg last week. I said that zeal is
>>> associated with religion and people begged to differ, citing some
>>> dictionaries. I hate that word as well. Desire for freedom and human rights
>>> to be honoured as a form of fanaticism? Naa...
>>
>> Zealot, zeal, zealotry all have somewhat fanatical meaning.  I don't
>> think most people who write open-source software are fanatical, in fact,
>> very few are - most of them are interested in freedom, and reward in
>> their currency of interest, that being source-code and recognition.  The
>> zealots are those who wish to use a "high priesthood" to create software
>> which only "high priests" are allowed to investigate, everyone else has
>> to accept it, use it, and remain locked-in.  Those are zealots, they
>> have high-priests.

>>> Yes, I wrote about this on Monday...
>>>
>>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3688891
>>>
>>> I think the document debate is hugely important and I spend a lot of time
>>> writing about it right now. In the past week alone, ODF has celebrated many
>>> wins. It's looking good. It's all about education and the ability to expose
>>> those who are influenced by the Microsoft money (Portugal, Italy, and the US
>>> got **busted** this week).
>>>

>> I think that the more we expose these issues here, the more they will be
>> seen in mainstream media, and the more they will influence those who
>> should /know/ what is being done with their money, and/or in their name.
>> In many cases, I'm fairly certain that incompetence rather than malice
>> is the driving force for those making the decisions, however, those
>> lobbying rely very much on that incompetence, and will do little or
>> nothing to ameliorate it.
>
> Spotted a couple of minutes ago (via Technorati):
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2007/07/bribery_watch.html
>
> I'm just flattered to be mentioned among names like Weir and Marbux.

It does prove that the audience is out there, and is listening very very
hard indeed.  Once upon a time, the oft-quoted mantra was that anyone
saying such a thing was a "zealot" or other such extremist.  Now, it's
being taken very seriously indeed.