Re: [News] TG Daily Marches towards Desktop Linux for the First Time

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 20 July 2007 13:32 : \____

>> TG Daily Special: Leaving Redmond, WA in 24 hours
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| This is the first install of what will be a periodic, ongoing series on how
>>| migrate from Microsoft's Windows to other Operating systems. This first
>>| article provides insight in the much discussed Ubuntu Linux.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32967/113/
>
> There are literally thousands of developers contributing profit up
> to Linux all the time.        Not all of them are paid to do so either.
> Most are simply zealots who,
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> |

> Is this some yank thing?  Why is someone who writes software for a free
> operating system a zealot?  Perhaps they just want to?

I had an argument about this in Digg last week. I said that zeal is associated
with religion and people begged to differ, citing some dictionaries. I hate
that word as well. Desire for freedom and human rights to be honoured as a
form of fanaticism? Naa...

>> March of the Desktop Penguins
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The suitability of Linux as a desktop alternative to Windows depends on
>>| your applications, your hardware and your attachment to Microsoft
>>| applications, formats and protocols.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2160628,00.asp
>
> This article is very interesting.  It notes in particular that linux
> desktops need to interwork in an environment where Microsoft has made
> most of the rules, and has kept the rule-book hidden.  After quite a bit
> of analysis, though, the article makes this extremely prescient statement:
>
> "The best way for companies interested in carving out a
> compatibility zone for Linux and other non-Windows platforms is
> to stick to creating formatting-heavy documents with applications
> that run on multiple platforms, such as OpenOffice.org."
>
> The warning sign here should be that for all businesses, it makes sense
> to start moving everything onto OpenOffice.org as quickly as possible,
> in order that any future migration from Windows to Linux will be far
> more painless.  Clearly, this is what Microsoft are hoping that HMG
> will help prevent happening, by forcing the National Archives, British
> Library and BBC onto proprietary-only formats, thus ensuring that their
> services will only be available to people who pay the Microsoft tax as
> well as the HMG tax.

Yes, I wrote about this on Monday...

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3688891

I think the document debate is hugely important and I spend a lot of time
writing about it right now. In the past week alone, ODF has celebrated many
wins. It's looking good. It's all about education and the ability to expose
those who are influenced by the Microsoft money (Portugal, Italy, and the US
got **busted** this week).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | You can never get nine women to deliver a baby in a
month