Re: [News] Does Xandrosoft Continue Fight Against "Clone Products", Acting as Proxy?

____/ BearItAll on Friday 20 July 2007 09:27 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Xandros bundles NoMachine thin-client server
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The companies claim that this extended Xandros-NoMachine alliance
>> | provides enhanced capabilities for secure and rapid access to graphical
>> | applications, running on any operating system across any network
>> | connection.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | The core NX software is open-sourced under the GPLv2.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6274440071.html
>>
>> Recall Microsoft's fight (through patents) against Wine, CrossOver Office,
>> and virtualisation. <
>> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/07/18/scalix-xandros-server/ >
>

> Are we meant to be against Xandros for teaming up with NoMachine and
> offering what look to me to be very good thin clients? I find that I can't
> be against such things, it is yet another area where we should hope to see
> Linux as the norm.
>
> One day all of the PC vendors will have a choice of OS's. Some buyers will
> choose Windows others will choose Linux. Then as knowledge builds, which
> Linux distro's are offered could be the deciding factor for many buyers.
>
> Personally I see little choice for the vendors but to offer a range of Linux
> distros that are likely to cover many tastes. Maybe a list such as,
>         FDC, Suse, Mandriva, Debian, Ubuntu.
>
> That just about covers everything.

True, but there's a danger here. As someone has just told me in another forum,
Microsoft has made Linux companies suicidal and in this case there are moves
that could truly hurt some free software . They want to contaminate software
by association. I'll just remind you that Dell 'joined' the Novell/Microsoft
deal a few months ago.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
Tasks: 143 total,   1 running, 142 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie