Re: [News] The Rob Enderle Shill Gets a Virtual Slap

> The pen is mightier than the FUD
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| A few days ago Rob Enderle proclaimed that Open Source and Linux are losing
>| momentum, without any evidence to back this up and despite that IDC and
>| Gartner are saying the exact opposite. The FOSS community responded with
>| rebuttals after which Rob posted a follow-up in which he makes some
>| particularly nasty accusations. However, trying to follow Rob's logic in the
>| original article quickly showed that it was not about a loss in momentum at
>| all. That was just a framework on which to hang a different tale, one that
>| gives us some insight in how he sees the world of software development.
>|
>| Normally I try to avoid Rob Enderle's stories. The one-man analyst group is
>| more often wrong than right, his analyses incoherent and filled with off-base
>| assumptions. His latest few pieces are downright insulting but also offer us
>| an insight into his reasoning.
> `----
>
> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/90044/index.html

It's a good article, but it is wrong about one thing;  FLOSS is very
much a political issue, because it is putting an end to commercial
models based on vendor lock-in. This is, to my mind, no bad thing to put
an end to, however, it is certainly a political issue.