Re: [News] Over a Million PS3s Sold in Japan, Ouselling Microsoft 2:1

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>> Don't forget that old discussion about "what makes games /fun/".
>> There are some games that boast many polygons, a lot of artwork and
>> whatever, but the gameplay simply does not work. Sometimes the old
>> and tired games from the 90s beat today's games in terms of fun.
>
> "90's"?
>
> Frankly, I haven't really enjoyed the game-play in most video games
> since Atari Centipede in 1980.

It's interesting how things have changed over the years.  I still find
the original tennis (pong) game surprisingly compelling, at least with
a resonable opponent :-).

I used to enjoy playing star-trek on the honeywell mainframe using the
teletype - you had to get out your trig tables to fire the torpedos!
Adventure remains a fairly seminal game.

I was a particular expert at the Combat games on the Atari 2600, and
also found "Night Driver" and "Space Invaders" very interesting.  At that
period, the superior pub game was Defender, with (for then) exceptional
graphics, sound and speed, with a reasonably challenging platform game.

After that, I think Snake, Golf, then Commander Keen, then Wolf3D,
and then probably lemmings all had reasonably compelling game play.
The leisure suit larry series were quite fun.

Of course, when Doom came along, the whole gaming world was turned on
its side.

Probably the only really interesting thing which has happened since then
has been 3D rendering becoming very fast.

Quake 3 was pretty good, but very much a Doom deathmatch clone with great
graphics and physics, but nothing to really challenge intellectually,
unlike Doom, which had puzzles of all kinds.

The massively-multi-player games are probably where most of the fun is
now, but I don't really have the time to play so much any more.  My lads
like Quake 3 and Wesnoth particularly, especially with some of the more
recent mods (for Quake3).

I think a read of Iain Banks or Red Dwarf (better than life) probably
indicate where gaming will end up for the masses.