Re: [News] [Rival] Bill Gates, the Average User, and "Brains of a Spidermonkey"

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Context:
>
> "Let's face it, the average computer user has the brain of a Spider
> Monkey."
>
>                                                         --Bill Gates

One has to wonder about the sickness of a society that would elevate such a
person to a high level...

Here is a person who actually used his knowledge and work to *save* a
billion people...

http://uk.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUKN1723204420070717

"Borlaug's efforts date back to the mid-20th century, when he developed
disease-resistant, high-yield wheat varieties and worked with developing
countries to grow these crops using modern farming techniques.

 He has more recently focused on increasing food production in Africa and
other parts of Asia.

 "Without question, Dr. Borlaug, your life and your life's work ... saving
more than 1 billion people from famine and starvation, are an inspiration,"
said Steny Hoyer, Democratic leader of the U.S. House of Representatives."

I also admire him for his stand on DDT (which the UN recently called for use
in African countries to battle malaria -- as it is a cheap, effective and
safe way to eliminate that problem.
<<<

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,905558,00.html

In stark contrast, he continued, "the so-called environmentalist movement"
is endemic to rich nations, where the most rabid crusaders tend to be
well-fed urbanites who sample the delights of nature on weekend outings.
Borlaug feels that campaigns to ban agricultural chemicals—starting with
DDT—reveal a callous misordering of social priorities. If such bans become
law, he warned, "then the world will be doomed not by chemical poisoning
but by starvation."
<<<

--
http://You-Read-It-Here-First.com