Re: Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

____/ Black^Hat on Monday 16 July 2007 00:36 : \____

> Salam!
>            I want to ask all you folks there that we can see the
> current advancements in Fedora and Ubunto distros. They've came onto
> screen as an OS not only for server's operated by GEEKS but also a
> much secure and user friendly OS for home users but still a large
> amount of our home user's are still stick with XP(especially here in
> Pakistan) . Do we need to create awareness at root grass level? Is it
> due to the Installation,configuring softwares and migrating data or
> other smiler issues that are the giant hurdle for home users? A XP
> user is still satisfied with Spyware,Trojan,dialer,virus an many other
> attacks but he didn't dare or didn't have enough guidance to get rid
> of it by using Linux.
>
> I've tried to talk with my some friends about these issues but at the
> end i came to know that they didn't need to listen the philosophy of
> FOSS they just want me to practically prove that Linux is much easier
> and secure then Windows. For them installing software from source or
> concept of mounting a block device is much difficult because they
> didn't have to do this in M$ XP :p. Gamming is also a major issue to
> move guys on linx. Most Popular games comes for Windows.
>
> "What" and more importantly "How" we individuals can serve to make our
> people at root grass level aware about the weakness and black holes of
> their existing platform and the advantages of Linux over M$ XP?

Hi Mustafa,

Trying to make people aware of the shortcomings of their software is one thing,
but trying to show them to strengths of other software can be a powerful thing
as well. If you want to help your friends understand that their software is
deficient, then you can show that that there is a better way. Sites like GNU,
for example, explain to people how their freedom is compromised. There are
many sites that very nicely list the advantages of Linux. Another thing you
can do is show them videos of Linux.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w

This always impresses.

Some people are too lazy to read or educate themselves and instead they stick
to other people judgment, which often involves no judgment at all. They stick
with the 'norm'. Videos can change some of this, assuming bandwidth isn't
messing with one's attention span.

I have a colleague who is originally from Pakistan and he too realised that
Free software should be the natural choice for everyone in an age when
software and operating systems devolve into spyware (just look at Vista
underneath the hood).

Maybe you will find the following article interesting. Maybe you can share them
with friends. The government appears to be willing to becoming technologically
independent.

Govt committed to enforcing IPR, says IT secy
http://www.onlinenews.com.pk/details.php?id=113126

500 professionals trained in open-source software
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007%5C03%5C15%5Cstory_15-3-2007_pg11_11

Pakistani students might be using $100 laptop next year
http://paktribune.com/news/index.shtml?161609

Pakistan looks to free software
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1262

Pakistan takes to alternative software
http://www.indiaenews.com/technology/20061024/26059.htm

The First International Conference on Open-Source Technologies
http://uet.edu.pk/icost2006/

Will UAE possibly support Laptops for every child in Pakistan?
http://www.localfoss.org/UAE_May_Support_OLPC_In_Pakistan

Roy S. Schestowitz