Re: [Rival] Office Trial Version Sounds the Alarm, Encourages Lockin

____/ peterwn on Monday 16 July 2007 03:30 : \____

> On Jul 16, 5:54 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Warning On Office 2007 "Try-Before-You-Buy"
>>

> I hope that OEM's are actually receiving net payments from Microsoft
> for agreeing to load Microsoft trial software (yes, this includes the
> stripped down Vista version) on to the machines they sell, as I think
> DVD makers do from Nero.

Dell was even petitioned, IIRC, on the issue of OpenOffice.org installation.
IdeaStorm had it among the top requests. Removal of "craplet" (Microsoft's
terminology) was at the top of the list as well, so it would seem like this...

If Dell preinstalled a trial version of Office, not only would it go against
one of the top request, but it would /also/ ignore another top request.

After IdeaStorm (earleir this year), Sun Microsystems issued a press release
urging Dell to preinstall OpenOffice.org.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Every polar bear is left-handed
Tasks: 116 total,   1 running, 115 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie