Re: [News] Windows Vista DDOS Weaknesses Highlighted

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:42:21 +0100

> Perform a Windows Vista Suicide by Pressing Just 2 Keys!!!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In its present form, the bug seems to create nothing more than a
> Denial of | Service condition. It remains to be seen if it can be
> exploited remotely or | if it permits code execution. Still, I’d put
> my money on a bug, rather than | on a security vulnerability.
> `----
>
> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Perform-a-Windows-Vista-Suicide-Pressing-Just-2-Keys-59886.shtml

It isn't a DDOS (Distributed Denial of Service) until many computers
are working together to bring a service offline.

For instance, many computers sending masses of DNS lookups, to
potentially overwork a DNS server (usually bandwidth drops first - DNS
lookups are usually hash searches).

The problem here is not clear if the Windows host suffers from this
problem via a network, one would have to make custom software to send
the key events to Explorer.exe for this to happen. The problem seems
very much a local problem. I would like to see a video of this as the
article is not very clear.

--
The Optical Cable to 3rd floor is losing cohesion because of the death
of dot com companies. Verio is going down like a whore in a room full