Re: Linux Creator Calls GPLv3 Authors 'Hypocrites'

____/ peterwn on Saturday 14 July 2007 02:37 : \____

> On Jul 14, 1:09 pm, John Bailo <jaba...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/13/2123235&from=rss
>>
>> "InformationWeek reports on comments by Mr. Torvalds that would seem to
>> decide the issue: 'Torvalds said the authors of a new software license
>> expected to be used by thousands of open source programmers are a bunch
>> of hypocrites ... "
>

> Actually I would like to see Linus' actual quotation including the
> context in which it was made.  Can anyone point to an authorative
> source?

I posted the actual thread after someone else linked to this stupid
sensationalist headline from InformationWeek. It was part of a batch, so I
can't find it again (not immediately anyway). Speaking of which,
InformationWeek has been posting a _lot_ of GPL hostile stuff in the past
couple of months. It's the same in their blogs.

> Again, even if he used those words it is his perogative.  He can
> decide on the licencing model of the Linux kernel as he pleases,
> subject only to the consensus of kernel distributers.  There are those
> who would support an alternative kernel such as Hurd, but as of date
> there is insufficient support and commitment.

Bear in mind that the headline took it out of context (IMHO).

> The day will come where Linus can no longer retain his supremacy (not
> any time soon as far as I can see - despite all the criticisms heaped
> upon him - what he has achieved in the last 15 years is nothing less
> than amazing, especially since the growth of a project like this
> rerquires different skill sets along the way - yet he has successfully
> bridged this.

Unlike de Raadt, Linus tried to keep his relationshop with Intel in tact
(defending them recently), but then again, they pay his wage (in part).

> Even if Linus chooses to stick with GPLv2, there will be still enough
> GPLv3 software out there in the near future for GPLv3 to achieve its
> overall objectives.

OpenSolaris could play a role here. For the time being, it isn't GPL-ed. Simon
Phipps recently asked Bob Sutor about GPLv3. I saw this in a blog discussion I
was part of in Bob's blog. The two open source VPs at Sun and IBM are still
waiting and watching, but I think that Phipps could pull the card that Linus
was afraid of. Linus said that he will at least consider dual licensing or
GPLv3 if OpenSolaris takes that first step.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Pentiums melt in your PC, not in your hand"
Tasks: 139 total,   1 running, 137 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie