Re: Google Estimated to Have Accumulated One Million (Probably Linux) Servers

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 02:16:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Kelsey Bjarnason on Thursday 05 July 2007 21:30 : \____
>
>> [snips]
>>
>> On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 11:38:18 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:
>>
>>> Linux and OSS are a critical part of the Google business model.  They
>>> need thousands of fast databases, all capable of locating relevant
>>> documents several hundred times/second.  I believe they also use DB2,
>>> but I'm not sure what the licensing is like.  My guess is that they
>>> get a "quantity discount" that's probably pretty substantial.
>>
>> "Anything over a half million seats, we'll give 'em to you for ten bucks a
>> pop."  <snicker>
>
> I recently read in the Observer (I think) that they use SQLite. Many companies
> do. It's free. Simple yet effective.

Slow as snail snot, too, unless you disable its sync-on-write.  Doing so
risks corruption on improper shutdowns, but significantly increases
overall performance.

Nice little tool; lacks some features of "real" DBs, but for many purposes
it is more than sufficient.