[News] Decision Makers Get in Trouble Unless They Shill for Greedy Companies

  • Subject: [News] Decision Makers Get in Trouble Unless They Shill for Greedy Companies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:00:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Update on ODF and Massachusetts

,----[ Quote ]
| The past immediate experiences of both Peter Quinn and Louis Gutierrez have
| made the consequences all to obvious.  These people aren't paid combat pay to
| be controversial - they're just supposed to keep the IT structure effective
| for our benefit.  If we want them to do more than just do what they're told
| by vendors, we owe it to them to back them up.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070712172756761

The open source purpose of new spectrum

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source does not deliver as much software profit as the proprietary
| model, but it does deliver enormous value to customers. Thus the free
| market likes open source. If the purpose of “competition” was to only
| maximize proprietary profits, we’d give the market to Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| Politics is also a competitive business. Those politicians who refuse to work
| in the public interest need to be replaced.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1207

What open source does to people

,----[ Quote ]
| You get paid to support the customer and drive value for her, not for shoving
| license fees at her. This dramatically changes the way you think about
| customers, because you have to think about these customers every single day
| of their subscription with you.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9740514-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Related:

MA Governor-Elect Names MS Anti-ODF Lobbyist to Technology Advisory Group

,----[ Quote ]
| That person is Brian Burke, the Microsoft Regional Director for
| Public Affairs, and if that surprises you, it surprises me as well,
| given the degree of acrimonious debate and disinformation witnessed
| in Massachusetts over the last 15 months involving the Information
| Technology Division's transition to ODF.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20061128161343183

Interview with Christian Fernandez, of Binary Freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately, companies like Microsoft have thrown around their
| financial and political weight to combat our work. They defeated a
| measure in Florida through lobbying and the only way this abuse will
| stop is if we continue to fight them.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/interview_christian_fernandez_binary_freedom

Second CIO:

,----[ Quote ]
| As CIO of Massachusetts from February to November last year, Louis
| Gutierrez had to endure most of the brunt of Microsoft Corp.'s political
| wrath over a state policy calling for the adoption of the Open Document
| Format for Office Applications, or ODF -- a rival to the software vendor's
| Office Open XML file format.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012760&source=rss_news50

First CIO: