Re: The Linux counter is up again

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> ____/ ml2mst on Friday 13 July 2007 08:06 : \____
>
>> The Linux counter was down for a while, due to technical problems, but
>> today I checked out and it's on line again *Yeehah*
>>
>> Share your pride with the world and get your GNU/Linux boxes counted ;-)
>>
>> http://counter.li.org
>>
>> With kind regards,
>>
>> Marti van Lin
>
> These counters are pointless and they possibly do more harm than good. I wrote
> about them last week and got a lot of feedback. :-)
>
> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/09/1424259&from=rss

Yes, the Distro used, out of hundreds of different Linux distributions,
is noted by the counted user who posts his machine/s in the counter. Who
counts the many (I note there are 29) *BSDs? Nobody.

But, a major flaw is that no one posts entries for all the machines
running GNU/Linux over at Fortune 1,000 corporations, such as Microsoft,
Akamai, GoDaddy, Google, IBM, DOT, NASA, state run schools in the 41
states or 165 nations which have adapted them, or any other customers.

Yes, Microsoft runs Microsoft.com on 15,000 Akamai Linux servers.

Microsoft runs 200 to 400 Linux systems in their "Linux Lab" under VP
Hilf.  Microsoft runs Aruba routers which are Linux firewall systems.

One major factor in all the counting is that the estimate of market is
an important factor in encouraging hardware manufacturers to release the
data about their devices so that drivers can be designed.

The number of Chinese, Indian, and other Asian, plus, African and
Pacific nations populations who have embraced GNU/Linux have influenced
the makers to release more information on more of their products.

Whether the Linux Counter helped is a moot point, as the hardware makers
 are looking at some 30% of market going to competitors who do open
their product up for the free driver compilation by the Open Source
community.

All the double digit growth in PC sales is in the arena of systems that
can run GNU/Linux and FOSS.

I am a Linux User with a 5 digit number from the early days of the Linux
Counter, 1997.