Re: [News] Huge Amount of PCs Converted to Linux and Donated

Roy Schestowitz schreef:
16,000 Linux computers delivered - for free

,----[ Quote ]
| With his non-profit organization called Alameda County Computer Resource | Center, he built up a volunteer organization, collects donated stuff from the | companies who provide them, strips any proprietary OS and software off the | drives, re-installs everything with Linux and free applications, and then | gives them to schools or other not-for-profit organizations or individuals | without too much cash. |
| A great man with a great mission. CNN called him a hero already.

Thanks for the inspiring story. I could do something similar, since I do receive a lot of "useless" outdated machines and install GNU/Linux on them. I installed Debian Etch on a old school Cyrix MII, with 64 MiB RAM, S3 Virge GPU and 9 GiB HDD plus a CD rewriter. I replaced GNOME with XFCE and OpenOffice.org with Abiword and Gnumeric etc. And believe it or not the old box is working well, but I don't use it at all. And I've got more machines which I could give a way, to someone who needs them.

This is one of the many great benefits of GNU/Linux. It gives you the ability to reanimate a outdated box and give it to someone who needs it, because in contrast to Microslopware it's fully legal and ounce your used to it, its simply more productive (logical file systems and no mallware). *Yeehah*

Actually I am the type of guy, Mark Kent describes in his usenet trolls masterpiece on his blog:

http://www.thereisnomagic.org/

Only that I'm not using Windows and that I don't have a pile of "Windows for dummies" books :-)

Now this story inspired me do volunteer, in stead of waisting my time behind some computer, without anybody benefiting from it.

With kind regards,

Marti van Lin
--
|_|0|_| Registered Linux user #394093