Re: Linux Adoption is Rising, Mcirosoft Shill on the Loose Again

____/ Rex Ballard on Friday 13 July 2007 05:28 : \____

> On Jul 12, 9:14 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Linux adoption 'on the up and up'
>
> Again, two great articles from Roy.

I don't think they are great at all. In one forum I criticised the first one
for a sensationlist headline. I have also informed the editor about Enderle's
ties with Microsoft. I know the editor because I have recently begun writing
for him.

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "The local market is paying particular attention to the current global
>> | trend of corporates switching from Exchange Server to an Linux or open
>> | source e-mail and messaging distribution platform," says Hasson.
>> `----
>>
>> http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/619.html
>
> In the past, there weren't a lot of companies offering really good
> support for production grade Linux systems.  Today, it seems like
> almost everyone is offering commercial support.  Oracle, IBM, HP, Sun,
> Red Hat, and Novell, are all offering support plans that range from
> simple e-mail support to on-site consulting and custom solution
> development.

The item is focused on E-mail in particular. While shills are discusses it's
worth adding that Laura DiDio (the other anti-Linux crusader) said that open
source E-mail is the greatest threat to Exchange. I think she sadi this in a
recent and exclusive interview with Mary Jo Foley.

>> The Enderle shill is back after a while of calm.
>>
>> http:// itmanagement. earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3688371
>>
>> I don't understand why the editor still lets him publish stuff. It's
>> supposed to be Linux journalism, not messages from Enderle's client
>> (Microsoft).
>
> I tend to get a bit amused when a one man show who speaks as the head
> of his one man consulting group, starts pontificating.  But then
> again, I've pulled the same stunt :-D.

You made it into InformationWeek, too. Enderle has actually appeared on TV
(whether it means anything or not), but just like John Dvorak, he likes the
attention, no matter whose agenda he promotes. Why can't people publish what
is truthful? It's simple. Old-type journalism no longer pays the bill, so
almost any online publication is rotating promotional placements and links
to 'whitepapers'. It's biased content. It's a no-thinker.

> Enderle did have his thumb on a few things.  First, he noticed that
> corporate customers don't like Vista at all.  Pretty accurate.
>
> He also noticed that corporations are putting Linux on the desktop -
> IN ADDITION to Windows XP - On target there.
>
>>From the article:
>>By the way, I should be clear, I'm not saying that Linux is going into
>>decline,
>> only that it appears the growth rate is dropping off.
>> But I think this means that buyers are becoming
>> more realistic in their expectations.
>
> Linux finally hit the radar screen when Linux servers needed support
> and the
> CIO had to aquire or hire that support.
>
> Now, Linux is getting below that radar screen again.  Linux systems
> cost
> very little to support, especially in production environments, and
> it's very
> easy to add additional servers.  Virtualization can reduce the
> hardware box count.
> Blades are often counted as a single server, even when there can be as
> many as 256 blades in a single 19 inch "Box" (rack).  With proper use
> of SAN and NAS, it's often possible to leverage those 256 processor
> cores into as many as 1000 "servers".
>
> Net result, Linux box count has slowed.
>
> Keep in mind that Linux is still growing at triple-digit annualized
> rates as well.  Microsoft is hoping that when they roll out Windows
> server 2008, that users will NOT defect to Linux, as they did when
> Microsoft tried to force NT 4.0 users into upgrading to Windows 2000
> or Windows 2003.
>
> Windows 2008 is still MSDN based.  Hard to count real "sales" there.
> You give a few million developers free copies of Windows 2008, and
> they will find boxes to put it on, even if it's their own desktop.
> But Microsoft will report it as a "Server".
>
> Linux vendors have also tempered their support licensing practices,
> charging for processors instead of cores, or putting caps on their
> proccessors/box count.
>
> Red Hat and SUSE are also starting to get competition from other
> distributions, not just on the client front, but also on the server
> front.
>
> Remember, there are 100 distributions, several of which are built on a
> "Base" of some other distribution.
>
> Microsoft would love to have Linux growth rates, and Linux supporters
> like IBM, HP, Dell, and Oracle, would love to see Microsoft's 50%
> profit margins.
>
> Microsoft's profit margins are eroding, and Linux servers are doing
> more and more with fewer and fewer boxes.
>
> It's a testiment to Linux TCO and ROI.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers