Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays People Who Helped It Promote Vista

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 12 Jul 2007 16:12:35 +0100
<2488721.2ayQYEyqYZ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Microsoft Vista: Show us your Wow (WOW 404 error page not found)
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Bill Gates: ?Show us your Wow and win a trip around the world?
> | For those who don?t know, that?s one of the marketing slogans
> | of Windows Vista. Bill Gates made an invitation to you all
> | to share your Wow. You might be wondering what?s a Wow.
> |
> | ERROR 404
> `----
>
> http://www.8lights.com/news_detail.php?id=52048

Since when does a 404 page sans navigation aids need Javascript?
Ow, brain, ow.

Oh, and gotta love the <richtextabstract> tag.  Also the
many embedded style='' attributes.  The vertical bars in
the id='' attributes is mildly interesting, but probably legit.

That might make me go "wow", were it not for the fact that it
smells like business as usual, so it's more of an 'oh' or 'blah'.

> Microsoft terminates content - no winners, no explanation + blocks google
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft has terminated its photography & video content
> | showusyourwow.msn.com with no winners and no explanation and
> | is even detecting and redirecting cached versions to a fake 404
> | page. Endorsed by Bill himself, was this just a Microsoft rip-off?
> | Trying to get free images for Vista? This contest was initially
> | launched to boost the Vista presence.
> `----
>
> http://digg.com/politics/Microsoft_terminates_content_no_winners_no_explanation_blocks_google

Bleah.  What generated *this* crap?  There's that
<richtextabstract> again (this is legit -- HTML is allowed
to contain foreign tags, which must be ignored by ignorant
browsers -- but silly-looking).  Must be some doohickey
from MS Office 2007.  Lots of style='' again; in UPPER
CASE no less.

(Not that OpenOffice is much better in that area.
OO really needs to be fixed to allow some sort of
normalization of styles and dumping said styles into a
separate CSS style sheet.  I think most of the hooks are
there, though.)

One wonders if Bill was just getting a few too many OSX and GLX
submissions to make him really comfortable... :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #2239120:
void f(char *p) {char *q = p; strcpy(p,q); }