Re: Littlewoods catalogue selling under-powered Vista desktops... but why?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:29:22 -0700
dapunka <dapunka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12 Jul, 00:02, ed <e...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:16:49 -0700
> >
> > dapunka <dapu...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > A friend of mine wants to buy her son a new PC.  But she's poor,
> > > on benefits, so she's gonna get one from Littlewoods catalogue
> > > (for the benefit of non-Brit readers, it's a big catalogue
> > > company that sells stuff for quite expensive prices but lets you
> > > spread the payments over many weeks or months).
> >
> > > I was having a look with her, and their cheapest desktop PCs cost
> > > about £500, have Vista preloaded... and have 1GB of RAM.  I
> > > thought Vista needed 2GB of RAM /minimum/?
> >
> > > What kind of computing experience is her son gonna get from one of
> > > these machines?  I'm trying to convince her to buy a used PC and
> > > I'll install Ubuntu or something on it... or, if her son insists
> > > on Microsoft, then get one with XP.  Coz I can see an
> > > underpowered Vista box as being a /real/ disapppointment.
> >
> > I think there are places around that will donate computers to the
> > under privileged. Lookup some computer recycling in google regional
> > search.
>
> I don't think she'd go for that.  Pride and stuff, y'know?

Yes, granted, but its about making use of existing resources. I pains
me when companies ditch good equipment because they decide to refit the
office. Often, there will be some gems getting thrown out that is
suitable for a database server.

Why don't you go along and get the box, then just give it to her to see
how it gets used by her son. It's going to hurt even more if the son
does not like the computer after a week... Often gifts get put aside
after a week, if this gal is on benefits, it's going to really suck and
make her sad if this happens... Just do the easy thing, get something
that's already working and see how it goes, if in a months time it's
well used, then bin it and get a new one, if she must.

--
The 5 1/4 Floppy Drive to the PS2 is blown because of neo taking the
red pill. Homer Simpson is trying to hook a PS2 up to the network.